- Day-to-day banking
Our day-to-day banking services cover everything you need to run your company finances, from accepting credit card payments to paying your bills.
At Santander, we understand that to expand your operation you need access to finance. Here you’ll find a range of options suited to short and long-term needs.
- International trade
We’re focused on bringing a fresh perspective to businesses with ambitions to grow beyond traditional markets.
Our extensive local networks and knowledge around the world means we’re ideally placed to support your international trade plans. Let us help you uncover the path to international success.
- Sectors expertise
Our sector specialists are here to help you prosper.
We understand the complexity and evolving needs of businesses in a wide range of industries. Our experts will work with you to help turn your aspirations into reality.
Payment cut-off times
Information about our domestic and international payments services
At Santander we can support your payment needs both domestically and internationally across a range of currencies. Our payment solutions include CHAPS, Faster Payments and Bacs, as well as enabling you to collect payments from customers via Direct Debit and transfer funds between any of your Santander UK accounts. You can make payments online using our Santander Connect platform or via our Customer Service Centre.
Further information on how to contact us and details of payment cut-off times and settlement dates are shown if you click on the drop down options below.
UK domestic payment cut-off times and settlement dates
Santander Corporate and Commercial customers can make domestic payments using our Online Banking (Santander Connect) and via our Customer Service Centre (CSC). The below table shows the cut-off times and settlement dates for each payment type.
|Domestic payment requests||Banking channel3||Cut-off time for same day dated payments||Funds will be debited from your account4||Funds should be available on beneficiary account4|
Single immediate transaction
|Online||23:55||Usually immediately||Usually immediately|
|CSC - over the phone||17:00|
|CSC - by email||13:00|
|Bulk Faster Payments2
via 'Bulk Payments' facility
|Online||15:55||Day of receipt||Same day|
Single immediate transaction
|Online||17:35||Within 90 minutes following receipt||Within 3 hours|
|CSC - over the phone||15:40|
|CSC - by email||13:00|
|Bacs Credit Transfers2
File submission (3-day processing)
(Business day 1)
|Business day 3||Business day 3|
|BACSTEL-IP Third Party software||as per your software supplier|
Cheques - for information on cheque imaging and processing times.
1 Service available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Includes sterling inter-account transfers between own accounts (IATs)
2 Services (CHAPS, Bulk Faster Payments and Bacs) are available on business working days only (Mon - Fri)
3 Online via Santander Connect; over the phone via Santander Corporate Office or Customer Service Centre
4 Subject to the standard bank checks by Santander and the Beneficiary Bank
- Please ensure that there are sufficient funds in your account to cover the value of payments.
- Please make sure all payments are fully authorised before submission by the specified cut-off time to be deemed to have been received for same day processing.
- If any payment instruction is received by us after the specified cut-off time, then we will be deemed to have received it on the following day.
- Payment instructions sent by fax or post are no longer accepted.
- All payments are subject to standard bank checks following authorisation. Please allow 2 hours for these to be completed.
- Payment instructions sent in bulk (2 or more) by email may not be deemed to be received same day; same day processing of the instructions will be done on a reasonable endeavours basis. It means we will try to process the payments on the day received, but if the instruction is received close to the cut-off time or contains particularly high number of payments, it might not be possible to process on the day received.
- The CHAPS, Bacs and Bulk Faster payment services are open for payments on business days only within the scheme operating hours; however, the UK Faster Payments Scheme is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Working hours of the Customer Service Centre (0800 085 2090) are Mondays to Fridays between 8:00 and 17:30 and Saturdays between 8:00 and 14:00.
- Working hours of the Santander Corporate Office (0151 298 6520) are Mondays to Fridays between 8:00 and 17:30.
- For information on call charges please see call charge information.
Santander Corporate and Commercial customers can make international payments in a range of currencies, using Telephone Banking or our online banking service, Santander Connect.
You don’t necessarily need to have an account in the payment currency, as Santander can convert your payment into the currency needed. Your customers can also pay you directly into any of your accounts, without first having to convert their payment into the currency of your account. In these cases, Santander will automatically convert the payment and credit your account.
For both types of automated currency conversions, we use exchange rates that are updated regularly throughout the day, so we apply the latest exchange rates to your payments. We also settle currency payments as quickly as our systems allow, based on the market timings in the currencies we are converting. This means that, depending on the currencies involved, the beneficiary’s bank (or your account) may be credited with the funds on the same day as the payment was made.
Use the calculator to work out cut-off times and settlement dates
Full details of the settlement dates and cut-off times are shown by clicking the link to the calculator below. Just enter the currency of the account you want to debit, and the currency you want to send, and the calculator will give you the cut-off time and settlement/value date.
|Account Currency||Payment Currency|
|Available (Yes/No)||Payment Cut-off time||Settlement date|
- The time lag between receiving a payment instruction and the delivery of funds to the beneficiary’s bank will continue to shorten at Santander and across the industry. However, this increase in speed can also make it easier for fraudsters / scammers to steal from you. The most common scams involve hacking-into company or personal email accounts and passing instructions within your company for payments to be made, and/or beneficiary account details to be changed. Santander cannot recover funds after they have been delivered and, assuming Santander is acting on a valid instruction, we cannot be held responsible for losses you may suffer. It is therefore critical that you strengthen your email security and take sufficient measures to ensure your internal instructions are valid before you instruct us to make a payment.
- We may make further changes to cut-off times and/or may add further available currencies so if you save a copy of the calculator, it might not be accurate in the future.
Further support & FAQs
1. How can I send an international payment request?
Our Online Banking service, Santander Connect, is the most convenient way to send international payment requests. Santander Connect now offers Near-Real Time exchange rates for many currencies, allowing you to access up-to-the minute rates.
If you’d like to submit payments over the phone or by email via our Customer Service Centre, we’ll need to go through some additional security such as call backs or security codes. In addition, from January 2016, you will be charged a higher payment fee for any payments that are not submitted via Santander Connect. Payment instructions sent by fax or post are no longer accepted. For more details please call us on 0800 085 2090*.
2. What’s a currency cut-off time?
The currency cut-off time is the time we need to receive your payment by so we can process it on the same day. For example if the cut-off time is 14:00, you must submit your payment request on Santander Connect, and fully authorise it, before 14:00 – or it will show as having been received the next working day.
Payments submitted over the phone or by email will take an additional processing time of up to 24 hours.
3. What is a currency settlement time/date?
This refers to the date on which your payment will be delivered to the beneficiary’s bank. For example, if the settlement date is same day, and your payment is received before the cut-off time, then it will be with your beneficiary’s bank the same day. If the settlement will take 2 working days, and you submitted your payment on Monday before cut-off, they will get the payment on Wednesday. The day the payment is received is also known as the payment ‘value date.’
Please note, the beneficiary’s bank will normally credit the beneficiary’s account on the value date, but they don’t always do this. Unfortunately, this is beyond our control as the sending bank.
4. What happens if I’ve sent a payment after the currency cut off?
Your payment will be processed the next day.
If you have any more questions please call our Customer Service Centre team on 0800 085 2090. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday between 8:00 and 17:30 and Saturdays between 8:00 and 14:00.
For information on call charges please see call charge information.